The class focuses on the Lamaze Philosophy. Here are a few of my favorite points:
- Pregnancy is a normal, natural life event.
- Women's bodies are perfectly designed to nourish and nurture their babies through pregnancy.
- A good support system, a healthy lifestyle and the ability to cope with the stresses of life promote a healthy pregnancy, a healthy birth and a healthy baby.
- The health-care system and care provider can increase or decrease a woman's confidence in the normality of pregnancy and her ability to have a healthy baby.
- Women’s inner wisdom guides them through birth.
- Women have a right to give birth free from routine medical interventions.
In addition to this class, I have also been reading The Official Lamaze Guide: Giving Birth with Confidence. This is a fabulous book! I was hooked after just reading the Preface which was so empowering and encouraging. The book focuses on encouraging mothers to trust their ability to give birth without needless medical intervention.
These two resources are exactly what I need right now. I am feeling more and more confidant every day and am learning to trust my body and it's own ability to know what needs to be done for myself and my baby.